Tuesday, August 12, 2008

How not to turn over in a narrow sea kayak...

This afternoon & evening I went on a short kayak trip with my youngest daughter. She paddled the sit-on-top the first half of the trip. Then I asked her if she would like to paddle my 17 ft. narrow sea kayak. I warned her that it was easy to turn over, but that it also is easier to paddle and much faster than the wide plastic sit-on-top one. Here's how you keep from turning over, "Don't lean too far to the right or left!"
The same is true for walking steady with Christ. When we begin to lean too far to the extreme edges of our faith, or culture, then we begin to be defined by issues rather than relationships. Focusing on our call to be a relational blessing to God and neighbor keeps us upright as we journey through the seas (chaos) of life. I have learned how to balance my kayak better through practice -- paddling it for 3 to 5 hours at a time on many outings. I find that steady consistent strokes make the journey more enjoyable. I have also learned to take my nifty little 12 ounce parachute nylon hammock that I can quickly string up between two trees and take a brief rest at the midpoint of a long day of paddling. So too must I do in long days of service to church and community. I can just get tired out listening, learning and trying to link in ways that lift others into God's love, grace and mercy. I need a bit of a rest every once in a while. Steady consistent witnessing make the journey more enjoyable.
How's your journey going? Turned over lately and felt all washed up? Get back in the boat and practice with patience. Remember to take rest breaks and talk to God, pray to God, read God's word, before heading back into the deep water!
Happy kayaking!

1 comment:

slslslsls said...

Hows my journey? Haha... I think I got lost on the way to the river and tried to use the kayak in the ocean during a tsunami. ;)

Thats interesting though, about not going too far right or left. It reminds me of this speeding ticket I got a few months ago- for going too slow. Go figure. Also reminds me of the speeding ticket I got last month for going too fast. Too fast, too slow, too left, too right... its all wrong.