Friday, April 8, 2011

Recharging my Droid Phone...

I really love the features of my HTC Droid Incredible. It's like having a little computer with me at all times. I can check my email, surf the internet, access my personal and church calendar, have an HD digital camera and video recorder with me at all times and receive and send text messages by voice activation, not to mention Pandora Radio when I'm driving and the Google Maps Navigation feature that far outstrips my expensive GPS which never had updated roads! The main problem I have with this phone is that it runs applications in the background and I'm constantly utilizing an app killer to save my battery life. No matter what I do, the battery life is miniscule when compared to old phones that you only used occassionally for phone calls. The solution to much of this dilemma is that I have seperate power cords at home, in my office and one in my car that runs through the old cigarette lighter spot.

I have also realized that as I have gotten older and as our church has grown larger, I am running more and more applications of God's calling in my life throughout each day and week. Not only do I have to teach twice on Wednesdays, but also the big attempt to spend great amounts of time with God, pen and computer trying to fashion a sermon that will be truthful to God and relevant to those who listen hoping to have a living encounter with God and his grace, love and mercy. In the midst of these teaching and preaching events, I have more and more individuals, within the church and friends of the church, who desire spiritual direction or counselling, and then there are the many visitors that we have comeing to church now that I really want to visit with (meetings scattered on various evenings inbetween).

All of this is wonderful because this is my calling. However, like my cell phone battery, if I do not regularly recharge my battery, through Scripture focus and quiet devotional prayer many times a day, then I will burn out, just like Sharon, Barry and others. Perhaps the most emotionally exhausting calling is spending time with those who are hurting and afraid, those whose lives are falling apart. After time with them listening and learning, after trying to assist them to hear of God's presence in the midst of their difficult journey, I usually must have time to recharge immediately.

John Wesley said one time that he had gotten so busy that he was having to move his prayer time up to four hours per day. Why is it that we're the opposite? Too many times when we get "busy," we spend less time in prayer and at the feet of Jesus Christ. The story of Mary and Martha reminds us of the better way. It is to spend copius time at the feet of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. He is the charge of life, the love of life, the gift of life, the sustainer of life as the manifestation of God's very Word made alive.

Recharge frequently or you'll burn out! God's needs you to be running the applications of his presence to the world around you in the unique and specific ways in which he has called you!

No comments: